Satellite
  • Day 3

    Merzouga

    November 3, 2017 in Morocco

    Merzouga is a small village located directly on the edge of the Sahara desert. The night bus ride was as unpleasant as long bus rides are and we arrived an hour earlier than scheduled in Merzouga. As we didn't have a specific plan and the sun hasn't rose yet we decided to go to the outskirts and watch the sun rise. Its an amazing view seeing the first sun beams of the day over the high dunes.
    By the time the sun fully rose the hotel opened that was collaborating with the Sahara Tour that we wanted to make. After some clarification we got a space to put our luggage, some towels and access to the pool :) We spent some time relaxing at the pool, shopping in the village and enjoying the local food... In the late afternoon we got to our dromedary guide dressed in the traditional berber clothes. He explained us quickly the basics and then we were suddenly two meters above the ground on top of the dromedar. He led us through the dunes for about an hour which was already long enough on the uncomfortable seat aka hump. But the view was once more amazing with all kinds of red and orange colours.
    When we had our stop we could go Sandboarding with a proper Snowboard! It went pretty well for me even though I'm no snow boarder. But it was a fun activity! From there was it just a short walk to our nightly camp, a luxurious tent with proper beds and mattresses.
    The dinner was a berber speciality with lots of greens and chicken and berber whiskey (mint tea). For the night we played music(we tried!), sang and danced. I had planned to make some night photography but due to a full moon it was impossible to see stars :(
    Read more