Satellite
  • Day 7

    Too Rainy

    October 3, 2018 in Iceland ⋅ 🌧 39 °F

    We gave up around 4:30 today. We went to one town west of Selfoss that supposedly had waterfalls, town gardens, hot springs and other stuff. Got to the parking lot to walk around the geothermal area. People looked cold and wet, and we are tired. The rain was beginning to turn to snow. We decide come back to the cabin and get ready to leave tomorrow to join our tour/workshop folks at the airport.

    Just couple of thoughts, it seams almost everyone speaks a little English so far no issues. Yes, they take credit cards everywhere, including at a dirt parking lot at one of the waterfalls. It was a machine, but easy to use. Iceland has a bad case of little, hairy horses. Everywhere you go there are herds of Icelandic horses and today was the only time we saw anyone riding one. There was a rancher herding his cows and sheep, he was riding and two other people were herding on foot. So, what do they do with all these cute little hairy horses. I wanted to take a ride as there are lots of places to do that as a tourist, but it’s just to rainy. PS these pictures taken on earlier day with Sunshine.

    Also for dinner had a Icelandic traditional tapas.. smoked lamb (lamb ham), dried cod (papery fish), raw salted salmon, sheep pate (looks like dry tuna salad), Islandic flat bread (think a tougher whole wheat tortilla), dark rye sour dough bread, Skyr and black pudding (it looks like a brownie but I think it has pieces sheep meat in it ). I should have taken a picture, but by the time I thought about it...it’s too late. Big difference from our first dinner here, a hamburger and fries. Eating out is expensive but Les and I split, that way we save money and we get dessert!
    Read more