Satellite
  • Day 12

    Snow Abort!

    October 8, 2018 in Iceland ⋅ 🌧 36 °F

    The plan for the day was everyone pile in to the vans and drive an hour to Holmavik to get fuel and take photos. Unfortunately, it has been snowing at the upper elevations and the road goes through a pass. Even equipped with studded snow tires, the vans had trouble climbing up the pass. So we ended up turning around and returning to the hotel.

    It rained here all day so Jill stayed in and painted. Les returned to the old Djupavik Herring Factory to take more photos. The factory was built in the 1930’s and operated for a couple of decades before closing. It is a huge concrete building with lots of equipment still in place. The people that own the Hotel also own the factory, so we have access. It is quite dangerous inside because the concrete used beach sand and salt water. Steel and salt do not mix, so the concrete is crumbling, but this is a unique opportunity for photography.

    By the way, several of the opening scenes from the Marvel movie "Justice League" were filmed in and around the factory. Several of these scenes are available on YouTube.

    Tomorrow the weather should be better and we will try for Holmavik again.
    Read more