Satellite
  • Day 13

    Travelling the Thames

    August 11, 2017 in England ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    The City of London claims that the Thames is "the cleanest metropolitan river in Europe". But from the banks of the river it doesn't look so. We definitely wouldn't be swimming in it, even if the fish have returned. Of course, a trip to London wouldn't be complete without a boat 🚣 ride along the Thames.

    We started out hiring bicycles 🚲 and cycled to the London Eye, avoiding the double-decker buses 🚌. From the London Eye, we travelled to Greenwich, and while not far from the London city centre, it isn't as crowded. It's definitely a great escape from the hustle and bustle of London City. We wandered around the borough admiring the palaces and churches; one church ⛪ claims to be the "possible" place of King Henry VIII's baptism, as he was born not far from the church in Greenwich Palace (Palace of Placentia). A trip to Greenwich also had to include crossing the meridian line, walking around the Queen's House, which was commissioned by Queen Anne of Denmark, the wife of King James I, and a walk under the Thames via the foot bridge.

    After the sites of Greenwich, we travelled upstream stopping off at each point along the river, finally ending at Tower Bridge and the Tower of London. We circumnavigated the Tower of London before walking across the Tower Bridge.

    The cycle home was pleasant in the 21°C English summer weather, although we got sunburnt and now look like the lovechild of Donatella Versace and Valentino.
    Read more