Satellite
  • Day 20

    Prague Castle and Plenty More

    August 18, 2017 in Czech Republic ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Apart from the Charles Bridge (Karlův most), Prague Castle is probably the most iconic attraction in Prague. The castle complex, dating from the 9th century, is made up of a number of buildings, including the Old Royal Palace, St Vitus Cathedral, the Golden Lane and the Basilica of St George. It’s been the residence of kings and queens of Bohemia, Holy Roman Emperors and presidents of Czechoslovakia and now the Czech Republic.

    The panoramic view of Prague from the castle is worth the visit alone. St Vitus Cathedral, although not just dedicated to this saint, is an imposing structure in the centre of the complex with grand, Gothic architecture. The Old Royal Palace, in the Gothic and Renaissance style, hasn’t been as well preserved as the Cathedral but nevertheless gives you an insight into how the kings and Holy Roman Emperors lived. The Vladislav Hall is perhaps the highlight, along with more panoramic views of Prague from the palace balconies.

    The prison within the castle complex provided a different perspective, particularly how cruel humans can be (and continue to be) with all kinds of torture devices and equipment.

    Stepping back into the twenty-first century, we had to experience the nightlife of Prague. But we quickly realised that people don’t go out until midnight, and Cinderella needed to return home before her coach turned into a pumpkin.
    Read more