Satellite
  • Day 327

    Trip to Teotihuacán

    June 21, 2018 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    One of the most popular tourist attractions forty kilometres from Mexico City is the ancient Mesoamerican city of Teotihuacán. The original city is believed to have been founded around 100 BCE, with continuous building construction occurring up until 250 CE. By the mid-sixth century, the city had been sacked and buildings burned. A little later in the seventh or eight century, the site was completely abandoned. The Aztecs, centuries later, discovered the abandoned city and repurposed it, or reimagined it if you will, for themselves, claiming ancestry with the Teotihuacán culture.

    The three amigos, Julie, Jason and Ricky, set out on their Aztec adventure from the main bus terminal in the north of Mexico City. After a little over an hour on a bus, we arrived and headed to the onsite museum before scaling the steps of the Pyramid of the Sun, which left us panting like a sex-worker on a busy night. Needless to say some of us were a little bit relieved to find out that the Pyramid of the Moon could only be climbed to the first level. Apart from the main structures along the Avenue of the Dead, there are residential areas with elaborate murals to explore. Unlike Chichén Itzá, the vendors are restricted to a small stretch near one of the exits to the site, with only a handful roaming around. Bypassing the vendors, we ended our tour with another museum visit, before catching the next bus back to Mexico City.

    Next stop: Back to Mexico City.
    Read more