Satellite
  • Day 6

    Jardin De Estrala Lisbon

    June 11, 2018 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Thats the bandstand

    a great succulent collection, the opuntia (prickly pear cactus) was in bloom, one was yellow O. indicc-ficus, and the other was pink.

    I think that is a guava flower in blossom - Acca sellowiana, Ray has had this for sale at our plant sale over the years, I remember typing it in for his invoices!! Not sure if it actually fruits in our climate in Vancouver, but it sure is beautiful.

    That is the Dragon tree - Dracaenea draco It has very spiky foliage and looks a lot like a yucca or one of the cordyline palms but the branching structure is much lower.
    great information panel at the University of Lisbon Botanical Garden - the Red Resin , Dragons blood , has been used medicinally and as a dye by many cultures over the centuries. Native to the Azores, Madeira, Canary Islands and NW Africa. Flowers at 20-30 years of age and shows "dichotomous ramification' that is the branching structure splits. so that is why such an interesting branching structure.

    the statue colin is looking at, not sure who it was, but look at that philodendron growing on the rocks behind Colin. It is huge.
    Read more