Satellite
  • Day 7

    Rue Augusta - Baixa Chiado lisbon

    June 12, 2018 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    as you walk under the arc you enter this big pedestrian mall. Very busy, even though no cruise ship terminals.

    WE walked up the Rue Augustata under the arch towards another square at the top a few blocks away. Flat walking

    as you walk looking up th side streets gives you views to the Bario alta on the left (west) and the Alfama on the right ( east).

    -a couple of "human" statues, and looking down one side street towards Ce church.

    The Baxia is a flat valley in between the Bario Alto and the Alfama. You get that feeling of being down low. This is why this area had so much damage in the earthquake from 1755.

    • -it was rebuilt quickly by Pombal and it looks like any other Lisbon colonial city. Easily obtained materials, set architectural style, the same 3 stories. Built it quickly to get people housed, no great big churches.

    • -Exterior decoration was only adopted in the l9th century after the Portuguese in colonial Brazil discovered tht the tiles protected against humidity.

    • The black and white cobbled sidewalk –Calcada- is uniquely Portuguese. Mosaic limestone and basalt cobbles first cut and laid by 19th century prison laborers. To this day patterns are chosen from a book of acceptable designs.
    Read more