Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    The last day before .....!!!!

    March 9, 2015 in Singapore ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    Today was the day T and I started out exploring.

    We were up nice and early followed by a quick breakfast and a walk up Orchard Road. This is the prime shopping strip for Singapore and every major shop you can think of is here - too many to list suffice to say there are squillions of shops.

    It is interesting walking around you have the brand new shopping malls with lots of glass through to small terrace shops just off side streets a short step away.

    We stopped in at the Information Centre and organised a couple of bus trips, a Zoo visit, and a visit to the Gardens by the Bay - more on all that as and when it happens!!!

    We then walked back to the hotel sit in the air conditioning for a bit before heading out to lunch. Singaporeans love their food courts as there are thousands of them scattered around with really good food, Lunch today was steamed pork buns and they were good!

    In the afternoon we went for a marathon walk around to the Marina Sands and Gardens by the Bay. The Marina Sands Hotel is the famous one that is shaped like a ship sitting on top of 3 big buildings. It is kinda scary looking as it is so high.

    The walk around there was interrupted by one of Singapore's afternoon thunder storms. It was really heavy and lasted about 15 mins, it did help to cool things down. We did what the locals seem to do and disappeared underground into one of the malls.

    After a walk around the Marina Bay Sands and dinner in the Garderns we caught a taxi back to the Carlton and scored a very friendly cabbie who helped explain some of the finer points of Singapore - large areas like the Sands and the Gardens are all built on reclaimed land. Once back at the Hotel we did what everyone does in Singapore and went for a couple of Singapore Slings!

    These are a really nice cocktail and very refreshing with lots of alcohol. T had her first and then announced 'Well that didn't touch the sides' so we had to have another one, Will sleep well tonight!
    Read more