Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    The big drive

    March 1, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    On Thursday we finished the big anti-clockwise loop of Tasmania with a final leg from Strahan to Hobart. It was a wet start again with light drizzle falling but that didn’t faze The Beast. The west coast does get a lot of rain so we were quite lucky the weather was as good as it was, a few light falls but nothing to slow us down. Glad we didn’t go to Queensland for these 2 weeks!

    The road out of Strahan to the next big town of Queenstown was very windy through dense rainforest so speed was limited to about 60kph. It was a really nice drive and next to no traffic.

    Queenstown was a real surprise. A century of mining and logging has taken a big toll on the environment with the hills around the town cleared of vegetation and huge tailings mounds dotting the landscape. Very different to the lush rainforest we had been driving through.

    The rest of the drive from Queenstown across to Hobart was pretty uneventful. Closer to Hobart the land became more farming focussed with cows and sheep lazing around in paddocks.

    After about 6 hours of pretty easy driving and including a few rests we made it to Hobart. We are staying at the same hotel we stayed at on the first night but this time they put us up in the Presidential Suite! We had a massive room with antique furniture, a 4 poster bed and views across the city. Dinner was a fancy restaurant in the City.
    Read more