Satellite
Show on map
  • Easy day

    July 28, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    We were up early to check out the lunar eclipse and associated blood moon. Unfortunately the clouds did not cooperate but we managed to get glimpses of the moon and Mars. Watching it happen over Cable Beach was pretty good anyway.

    We caught the bus into town and had an enormous breakfast followed by a trip to the Visitors Centre to book in for the obligatory Cable Beach camel ride this afternoon. We also found that the Court House Markets were on and very popular.

    In the afternoon we went up to Cable Beach again and found our camel team. My noble steed was called Wangi and was a fine specimen. Pop and I each had our own camel to ride and it was a good trip up and down the beach.

    In the evening we met up with our tour group and they took us into town again to the Mangrove Hotel to see the Staircase to the Moon. This is caused by the rising full moon reflecting off the mud flats of Roebuck Bay. Very good to see and most of Broome was there watching.

    There are 17 people on our tour as well as our driver JDub and tour guide Phil Schubert. All our fellow travellers are Australian.

    Today’s trivia. Roebuck Bay was named by William Dampier in 1699 when he was mapping this section of the coast in HMS Roebuck

    Tomorrow our tour begins in earnest and we are travelling north to Cape Leveque.
    Read more