Satellite
  • Day 7

    Castries, St. Lucia

    January 9, 2020 in Saint Lucia ⋅ ⛅ 82 °F

    We will not be as lucky today as we were in Dominica. There are three big ships in the port, but our wonderful captain arrived way ahead of the other ship. We were scheduled to arrive at 8:00 AM, but when we woke up at 6:30 we were in the port already.

    I forgot to mention that on January 7 big news was the mild vibration that many people felt on the ship around 7:15 a.m. It was Tuesday’s 6.4-magnitude
    earthquake on the southwest coast of Puerto Rico. And we were just 90 miles
    from its epicenter. Our captain said it was only the second time in 50 years that he witness it in the sea.

    Saint Lucia is an Eastern Caribbean island nation with a pair of dramatically tapered mountains, the Pitons, on its west coast. Its coast is home to volcanic beaches, reef-diving sites, luxury resorts and fishing villages. This island gain an independence in 1979. It is much more developed than Dominica.

    We met with another couple at 9:15 AM and proceeded to the shore to meet out guide.

    Our first stop was rum tasting place. We started with local 🍌 and continue with tasting all kind of local sauces and local rum. That was quite interesting.
    We also stop at some observation points to take pictures.

    Then after long drive on the winding roads we stop at the beautiful botanical garden with waterfall with sulphur water. The waterfall is changing color depending on how much iron is in the water.

    After that we stopped on the black beach for some snorkeling. To our luck it was raining just before we came so again the water was not very clear. Boris and I went snorkeling, but the other couple decided to use this time to have a coffee.
    We did not want them to wait for us too long, so we cut our snorkeling short. The water was nice, but the snorkeling was not very good.
    We had close to two hours drive back to the ship and with three ships in the port we were concerned about the traffic. We made back to ship with planty of time to spare.

    The island is very beautiful, but overrun by tourism.
    Read more