Satellite
  • Day 11

    "If you can't take the heat, ..."

    July 10, 2017 ⋅ 🌙 22 °C

    "... don't tickle the dragon."

    It was regularly above 35°C at the Quinta. It felt like you were standing in front of a giant blow dryer. All planning was based around the times of day. We quickly learned to respect the heat, not fight it. You understand why people have Siesta in the afternoon. It is just too hot to do anything.

    We mostly found our relief inside, reading lots of books. In the morning and evening the hammock was nice as well. And a cloth sunshade provided some cover over the outdoor dinner table.

    For sleeping arrangements when we first arrived at the Quinta we had the choice of a small studio apartment at the back of the farm house or to 'sleep under the stars in the ruins'. At first we opted for the small studio apartment because sleeping under the stars seemed a little precarious. We were thinking what if it rains? But Victoria assured us, it would only rain again until November/December. Literally, not even a sprinkle while we were there! We are definitely not in Holland anymore.

    Once we learned to appreciate the 'lower' temperatures at night (25°C) we quickly took Victoria up on her offer to sleep under the stars. The ruins turned out to be an extra room at the end of the farm house that was never roofed when Victoria was rebuilding it. It had a normal bed with a mosquito net to keep the bugs away. It felt so refreshing. And being out in the country, we were fortunate to have very clear, starry skies.
    Read more