Satellite
  • Day 11

    Ketchikan, The First Town in Alaska

    August 6, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Arrived in Ketchikan at 7am in the morning and our Airbnb host was at the dock to pick us up which we thought was extremely thoughtful of her. She gave us a running commentary about the history of the town and points of interest all the way to our destination.
    Leaving our bags in Jayne's office as the studio needed to be vacated and cleaned, Jayne dropped us off at the local hotspot for breakfast. We were slowly learning that meal sizes in the US come in two sizes - super-size and massive, so we decided to share a plate of three blueberry pancakes. Big mistake, two pancakes would have been sufficient.
    Breakfast over we hit the streets. The haze was slowly lifting and it promised to be a warm day. Down to the docks to pick up some maps first before we get lost. Ketchikan is a town on the cruise route so luckily their are only 4 berths so at any one time there can only, "only", be four ships in town.
    So our wandering took us down the Main Street, along the docks to the Southeast Alaska Discovery Centre. Crossing over to Creek Street, Jayne called and gave us the all clear to move in. Our little studio is on a pier street. Part of the original town and now heritage listed, the building our studio is part of was a brothel right up to the 1970's when the current owners bought it. It was than their family home where they raised their children. 5 years ago they bought another home and covered their old home into Airbnb appartments. We have an amazing location right on the water and close to everything Ketchikan has to offer. So,moved in we did and once settled we headed out once again. We explored Creek Street, walked the Married Man's Trail to the Salmon Ladder, followed the creek upstream to watch the salmon spawning then onto the Totem Heritage Centre.
    The cruise ships leave late afternoon and Ketchikan chills out. Such a lovely town after the madding crowd has vacated.
    Dinner - chimichangas for two, Ketchikan style.
    Read more