Satellite
  • Day 131

    The Journey - Boston to Staten Island

    December 4, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 9 °C

    We had a 10.30am departure for our Megabus ride to New York from South Station. Ready at 9.30 I rang for a taxi. It was a difficult conversation with the dispatcher. Was it my aussie accent? Who knows? I spelt the street name out, explained what streets it ran between, gave the suburb and the zip code for the suburb. After a 20 minute wait I rang again. Yes ma’am, the cab was dispatched to Dorchester. It should have been there 15 minutes ago. That’s good but ........... we are in North End. We were sent another taxi but the time was ticking closer and closer to our departure time. The traffic was horrendous and it was not a simple as the crow flies trip to the station due to the one way streets. We jumped out of the taxi, sprinted up the escalator, along the corridors out to the bus terminal. Thankfully the bus was a couple of minutes late as it arrived just after my heart had settled and my breath was back to normal. Next time we’ll walk. We could have done it in half the time and without the acquisition of more grey hair!
    It was an uneventful trip to New York and we arrived in downtown Manhattan in the late afternoon.
    After a quick dinner we took on the subway system to South Ferry, caught the Staten Island Ferry over to the island, a train ride to Great Kills and a walk to our Airbnb.
    A slice of heaven - a great little unit on the ground floor of Ella and Victor’s home, in a charming suburb on the island. Americans go for the Chrissie decorations in a big way and it had been a very pretty walk in the early evening to get there.
    New York here we come!
    Read more