Satellite
  • Day 135

    Another Crack at Penn Station & a Wander

    December 8, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 2 °C

    Another crack at Penn Station indeed! Only took two attempts. Counting down the stops on the subway but forgot that the Penn Station stop can also be called 34th Street. The drivers usually say both but this time no and we sailed past it only to realise our mistake. We hopped off at the next station. There was another train on the next line and Neil immediately thought it was going in the opposite direction and would take us back. He bee lined for a carriage and to catch up with him I didn’t think just followed. It was an express train and quickly took us in the wrong direction and a long way off. Eventually we were able to get off and got back to where we wanted to be. Did I say we had these subways nailed?
    This time we had a card for the train tickets to Washington and our IDs. Expensive! Didn’t want to buy the train! Coach/bus tickets are a lot cheaper but the train is the easier option. One less subway train to catch and less walking with bags.
    From the station we wandered up 5th Avenue exploring the Empire State Building, Grand Central Station, The Chrysler Building, Bryant Park Saks of Fifth Avenue and the Rockefeller Building with it’s famous Christmas Tree and Ice Rink and decorations. The window decorations in the Saks’ windows look like they are worthy of a look but today the crowds on the street would have made strolling past a bit difficult. Hopefully we can return.
    As we were walking up to Grand Central on the opposite side of the road we got talking to a cleaner, an interesting fellow and immigrant from former Yugoslavia. As we left him he decide he needed to go over to the station anyways and offered to give us a guided tour. I guess we offered comic relief to the working day. The walking lights had changed but that didn’t deter him. He stopped the traffic and we dodged across. After a guided tour on the different levels he left us and, I guess, returned to work. Love these random interactions, They are what make travelling.
    We were at the Rockefeller Building on dusk and the crowds were horrific. I don’t think the beautiful tree and lights are a secret anymore!
    Read more