Satellite
  • Day 159

    2018 - Peabody Ducks & Mississippi River

    January 1, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ -7 °C

    Today we saw them. We got there early, got a table right in front of the fountain and sat down to some tea and cookies while we waited for the parade to begin. The Duck Master explained the tradition of the ducks, how there happened to be ducks in the lobby of the hotel in the first place and a little a about the history of the first duck master and the duck training process.
    Once finished the master ascends to the roof to collect his charges. With a great fanfare the elevator doors open and the ducks march the red carpet to the fountain. They even have marching music. I guess there are possibly days when they march but today they positively sped. Any faster and they would have taken flight. Once they hit the water in the fountain they raced each other round and round seemingly excited to be in their fountain. Or was it more 4 females trying g to escape a determined male?
    Afterwards we went upstairs to the mezzanine level to see their memorabilia room.
    Despite the extremely icy wind we then ventured down to the Mississippi River to walk along the river walk between the two bridges. And because of the extremely icy wind we terminated our walk and returned to the hotel earlier than intended. So cold!!!
    Our last supper in Memphis was at Las Margaritas again, both of us dining on seafood chimichangas.
    Read more