Satellite
  • Day 173

    Golden Gate Park & Haight Ashbury

    January 15, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Although we are not staying right in the hub of San Francisco, the transport in this city is good and there many options for getting around. Between the buses, light rail, street cars, cable cars and BART they have transport within the city covered. From where we are staying we have been able to easily access all the areas that we have wished to visit and I feel that we have so far explored and will continue to explore a Wie range of areas in the city. Of course we are only going to scratch the surface as there are so many places to see but we should have the city area mostly covered.
    Today, two bus rides got us to Ocean Beach, the kick-off point for today’s walk. We started with a brief walk along the beach promenade. Today they had an organised beach clean -up and there were people everywhere cleaning up the beach - good to see. The clean up should also be extended to the streets of San Francisco - they have some of the grottiest streets we have seen on our travels.
    After lunch at the Beach Chalet we started our walk through Golden Gate Park end to exiting near The Panhandle and Haight-Ashbury. From there we walked into The Haight, the neighbourhood where the 1960’s flower power blossomed. There are some beautiful houses in the area but the street itself was nothing special I thought. Just over the hill where we caught a street car back into the city, on the corner of Carl and Cole, there was a lovely restaurant and cafe precinct.
    Read more