Satellite
  • Day 150

    Colourful Campeche, Mexico

    November 22, 2018 in Mexico ⋅ 25 °C

    A short bus ride from Merida brought us to Campeche! Campeche is the state and the city name. Officially, the city is called ‘San Francisco de Campeche.’ But no one seems to use the full name. The name ‘Cam Pech’ is the original name from the former settlement of the Mayans.
    Exiting the city walls, and braving the seawall where pirates had once plundered we watched the sunset over the Gulf of Mexico.
    The next few days we visited small museums attached to the ancient garrisons, scaled the ancient walls and we visited a small mosquito infested garden. We ate pizza, tortas, drank sangria and enjoyed walking up and down ‘Calle 59’ which is a street closed off from traffic.
    One day before noon, we rented bikes and headed to Fort San Miguel, after realizing the seawall had turned into a main street, we were in what looked like suburbs so we checked our map. This prompted us to discover that the fort was closed for the day! Do your research folks! Oh well, we still found the road leading up, locked our bikes and trekked up towards the fort. It was closed for renovations, but we did find invaders in the fort! At least five large iguanas were scaling the grounds, and one was looking out from the top as if it was the leader of its pack. Kind of cool! 
    Read more