Satellite
  • Day 10

    Salt Lake City, UT

    August 5, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    August 5, 2017

    Weather: 92 and sunny

    Hours Driving: 4 hours 49 minutes

    States Drive Thru: Idaho and Utah

    Miles: 341

    Restaurants: Rumbi

    Movies: Lion

    Games:

    Books: Dunkirk (Matt)

    Hotel: Fairfield Inn Portland South Marriott

    I have to say that we really enjoyed Boise Idaho. We thought it was going to be a drive thru, check it off the list destination but we really liked it and wished we might have stayed another night. This morning we grabbed breakfast at the hotel and headed to camel's back for a hike up to see the city from a different vantage point. You should have seen this park. It was green and happy with lots of people playing soccer, playing on the playground, doing yoga, riding bikes in some sort of bike club, working out in this cool workout playground and the giant hill mountain that we intended to climb. It was reminiscent of camelback in Arizona that Paul and I climbed but smalller. No less challenging. It was nearly a vertical incline up a sandy rocky slippery slope. It was not easy and with every step was a chance for serious injury. At the top you can see the whole city including the capital building. Nice hike in a very nice park.

    We heard about a Farmers market downtown so we decided to see what it was all about. It was your typical market with fruits and vegetables, artists and food vendors. We ordered some pizzas from a vendor with a brick pizza oven. I can't tell you if it was good because I couldn't eat it but I had a nice warm kale, chicken, cranberry and goat cheese salad with blueberry dressing. Very tasty. We bought some lavender products, some gluten free treats and some meat sticks. It was a nice morning in Boise. Paul met a vendor who asked where he was from and she said, "don't tell me, you love it here?" She was from somewhere else, went to Boise once, loved it and moved there. Paul and I would like to go back. I think its a hidden treasure.

    Off we headed to Salt Lake City. Another uneventful drive. We arrived around dinner time though we got to the hotel and vegged a bit before running out for a quick bite. After dinner, we hooked up Netflix and watched the movie "Lion". That is the book we listened to on the way out to Seattle. The movie is good but the book is a hundred times better. There is so much more detail that is critical to the story. Read the book first.

    We have two nights in Salt Lake City. Tomorrow we will go out and explore.
    Read more