Satellite
  • Day 3

    Burlington, VT

    August 4, 2013 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Geo: 44.4758, -73.2132

    We casually woke up this morning and had breakfast at the hotel. Even though our tire was fixed, we decided it would be a good idea to get a new spare tire considering we have 13 more days through the mountains, through rural little town America, across bridges, along coastlines and through big cities so we ended the tireless discussion and had the spare fixed. It took only 45 minutes, on a Sunday mind you, and off we headed to Burlington Vermont.

    Along the way, we detoured to a Western Town suggested by Roadtrippers.com a mile off of our route which was closed for the season. I am not sure what season it's open. One of us is missing something. So we stopped at a goofy little mini-golf and had ourselves a round and a visit to their haunted house (ooo scary-not so much). We had a cheesy fun time.

    Back on the road, we had to find our route across Lake Champlaine to Vermont. Ferries are the common route but it would cost us 40 dollars to cross the van and I felt there was a better way (to spend our money...on mini golf, a haunted house, a martini I had later). So I discovered that they had recently built (which could mean a month ago or a 5 years ago, I didn't do heavy research) a bridge across in Crown Point. So we let Google maps take us there. We hoped it was actually there. Then we found out Verizon doesn't go there. Maps still works and our OnStar has been helping us. I think OnStar might send us a farmer on a tractor if we need help. They sent us a great guy at 10 PM last night to change our tire which apparently was a feat with our van.

    So we meandering through rolling hills, up into the mountains and across the farm lands of Upsate New York. There was little town after little town all of which said, The Historic Town of... What could be historic other than the old man on the rocker on the big white porch? By the time you realize it was a historic town and had an interest in knowing why, you were out of it.

    We passed by a farm that caught our eye. There were rows and rows of cows. Big ones, medium ones and little ones. It was the little ones that made Elizabeth squeal, "Daddy can we stop??!!" I was the icing. "Yeah, Honey, can we??!!" Yaaayy!
    He gladly stopped and we jumped out to see them. A young man, a farmer there named Andy walked up and said we could look. There were dozens and dozens of 6 month old calves eating. So cute. it was a dairy farm that serves Cabot Cheese company in Vermont. We are going to attempt to visit the factory. It is on our route. They also had little babies in a separate barn. There was one born 3 days ago. Most were jittery at first but some licked you like a puppy. So cute. Andy was great. He told the kids about the cows. He has a degree in the field from University of Vermont. Who'da thunk it being covered in menuer and his drawl accent. Pretty cool. Don't judge a boot covered in poop. He told us to hit Church Street in Burlington.

    Roadtrippers also pointed out the Vermont Teddy Bear factory along our route. YAY! We didn't make it in time for a factory tour but their store was open to browse.
    It is a modest factory where they hand make their bears. Really neat actually. Fun but simple.

    We made it to Burlington and what a great place. Do you like Petosky? Harbor Springs? Traverse City? All rolled into one. We took a lap around the University of Vermont referring back to Andy. We were hungry and could possibly eat before 9 for a change (we are 6 o'clock eaters at home). Church Street was awesome.
    On a Sunday evening, it was just hopping with people, restaurants and music. We happened upon a music concert going on called Festival of Fools. How'd they know we were coming. There were these crazy characters and aliens singing and dancing. Felt a little Twilight Zone. The kids loved it. We had dinner outside at an Irish Pub. We made a run (literally) for the waterfront for a Burlington sunset (blocks downhill ignoring the fact that what is going down quickly must come back up sloooww We headed to our hotel just outside of town. Quality Inn. Eh.

    Tomorrow, we are very excited for the Ben & Jerry's factory. Ice cream dance. Boothbay Maine is our next stop for a couple of days.

    Turning in now. Sorry there is so much detail. Two reasons. One, they input pictures within the writing if you add detail. Two, I can turn this into a memory book later.
    Read more