Satellite
  • Day 8

    Hollywood Sign

    April 19, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Weather: sunny and 80s and 90s and gorgeous

    States: California, Nevada

    Cities: LA (Burbank), Las Vegas

    Miles: 269 miles

    Hours: 4 hrs 22 min

    Sites: Hollywood sign

    Restaurant: Other Mama

    Hotel/Home: Fairfield

    Movies:

    Audible: Resisting Happiness by Matthew Kelly

    Our alarm went off at 6:45. I wanted to forget the alarm and go back to sleep but not as much as i wanted to go on the hike. Our plan was to eat a meatless breakfast for Good Friday and hike to the Hollywood sign. I researched how and where to access the trailhead for the hike but I was nervous that it wouldn’t be that easy. It actually was easy.We arrived around 8:30 AM. Blue skies and 60s increasing by the minute which is why we started early. We parked and started up the dirt trail. It was a bit challenging. We try to hike on every trip. Every hike is very different. The first part of this hike is fairly steep but then levels out a bit midway. We had a few drinks last night and i didn’t hydrate as well as I should have. I did fine. Cody and Ben hiked ahead, Paul and I in the middle and our two little skinnies in the back doing a little complaining. Then, Elizabeth got Jessie on face time and it was like she was on the trip with us. Though, she was in a mud mask and less out of breath than we were. Thanks Jessie for distracting Elizabeth up the hill or mountain. It was a nice hike up to the iconic Hollywood sign. We hiked up to the first good viewpoint of the sign, about an hour/hour and half up. You can go all the way up to view the sign from behind but no one seemed too interested and we wanted to get on the road to Vegas. Al told us that traffic would get bad on a friday out of LA to Vegas. Funny though, there was more complaining going down than up. We figured they were too out of breath going up to complain.
    We finished our hike which everyone enjoyed and said our goodbyes to Cody and got on the road to Vegas. Traffic was minimal until we got outside of city limits where there was an accident that set us back 45 minutes. Ugh. It was pretty bad. One car up on the side of the hill and one upside down in a ditch. The rest of the trip was uneventful.

    We checked in to our hotel and headed to Uncle Stone’s condo. He lives near old Vegas. He took us to a cool, off the strip restaurant called Other Mama. Delicious food.We ordered a bunch of small plates and big and shared. The kids are adventurous eaters. We went back to Uncle Stones to hang a bit. I was so tired from waking up so early and the hike and the drive. To bed early for a long day of exploring the strip. Good night.
    Read more