Satellite
  • Day 21

    Glasgow

    May 19, 2022 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 59 °F

    The Rangers soccer team lost to Germany last night, so the city is in mourning and should be somewhat quieter tonight! Soccer is huge here in Glasgow and there’s an intense rivalry between the Catholic favored green team (Celtics) and the Protestant /Unionist blue team (Rangers). It’s not only a sports rivalry, but also a political and religious rivalry. In some pubs, jerseys are not allowed!

    A local tour guide took us on a 3 1/2 walking tour of Glasgow! Glasgow is located on the River Clyde. Its architecture is 19th century Victorian and the Art Nouveau influence from Charles Mackintosh. I really like his style. The Glasgow Cathedral, now the Church of England, sits high on a hill. This city was voted a World Culture City. The people are a joy and the among the friendliest I’ve encountered. There are street musicians scattered around the shopping areas. And of course, lots of pubs here, too, with their brews and whisky. The city has an edgy, artsy feel and lots of graffiti murals on buildings. While Edinburgh is all about royalty and government, Glasgow is all about culture and a laid-back way of life. They are also very much involved in social issues. It’s a safe city. Police in Scotland don’t carry guns. There is strict gun control. Right now the issue is knife control, I guess. But crime is low.

    We did a little shopping and more walking since the weather was once again perfect and then took an hour break before heading out for dinner at the 2nd Mackintosh on Willow which has a completely different menu…more like a real tearoom.

    These feet traveled about 8 miles today and are very tired!

    Scenes from Glasgow walk.
    Read more