Satellite
  • Day 23

    Island of Mull and Iona

    May 21, 2022 in Scotland ⋅ 🌧 52 °F

    Today we took the huge Caledonian MacBrayne ferry from Oban to the town of Craignure on Mull. Then, we rode a bus 2 hours across Mull to catch another ferry to Iona. The drive across Mull was very serene with incredible landscapes of unending fields of bluebells, mountains, countless hills, glenns (deep valley in the Highlands), lochs, cairns (piles of rock), jagged coastlines, Castle of Duart, hairy Highland cows, sheep, gannet (bird), black guillemot (bird), sea lion, red stag deer…just stunning.

    The island of Iona is only 3 miles by 1 1/2 miles and is very remote and quiet with a tiny community. Iona is the most sacred site of Scotland. It is here in the 6th century that Saint Columba introduced Christianity, and there is a 13 century abbey built on the site where he built his 1st Celtic church. The Book of Kells, said to be the “work of angels” was created here around 800. I saw The Book of Kells in Dublin.

    I’m quite disappointed that I’m missing the puffins on Staffa Island which is just a tiny uninhabited volcanic rock island of hexagonal basalt columns. But, in order to possibly see them, I would have a very rough ride on a small boat. Our guide advised against it because of the ride, predicted rains, and possibility of them not being there. I would have missed today’s adventure, too.

    It was a full day adventure so Rebecca and I stopped at a place like Steak and Shake…bless her heart! I am going to have fish and chips with her tomorrow!

    Most pictures were taken from the bus or ferry, and the weather wasn’t great…foggy and light rain.
    Read more