Satellite
  • Day 11

    Supply and demand: a case in cat pee

    September 21, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 2 °C

    The Arctic is tough. Tough to build on with the permafrost. Tough to get equipment and resources. Tough to work within the weather constraints. But, what remains the same is a little scenario called "supply and demand". It turns out that when things are in very low supply but there is a big demand, weird things happen. I know, I know, shocking to all. The story I'd like to share today begins with an itinerary that got bumped up a day for two travelers. Two travelers that were racing against impending bad weather that had the potential to trap them in a place they didn't want to be trapped in for many days. So, they raced to Iqaluit and figured they'd sort the accommodations when they arrived----or the folks helping arrange their travel would have it sorted. Unfortunately for them, Iqaluit recently lost on of its big hotels to renovations into residences and this week has the annual trade show in town. There was not a hotel room, b&b, airbnb, or anything to be found. These guys ended up bunking in a private house, one on an air mattress and the other on a couch. The best part is that during the night, the resident male cat visited the person on the air mattress and delivered a special treat of cat piss on the mattress while he was on it (though, as I understand it, it was on the corner of the mattress and so only 'marginally' affected the person's personal sleeping bag and bedroll). The other person, sleeping on the couch, felt certain that the couch was the regular site of the cat's 'special deliveries' based on the overwhelming aroma of kitty-specific smell. I lied, the best part was that these accommodations cost them......$400. So, the next time you feel like complaining about your Super8 or Holiday Inn's scratchy linens at $159 per night....just remember about supply and demand. (For me, I would like to retract my statements about my b&b---it was AWESOME--not one cat peed on me, not once).

    Tonight, I have made it to the big leagues and am in the main, serious hotel. When I walked in my room, there was satellite classical music playing on the flat screen and chocolates awaiting me on the bed! That's right...and the rate for this? A quite reasonable $210/night. I'm so excited to go eat in the hotel restaurant tonight!! They even serve alcohol!! Iqauit is the only city that serves booze in public places such as a restaurant. This week they opened their first beer and wine store. It grossed 10% of its yearly predicted revenue in 4 days. I think it's going to do well---though, you can only buy a 12pack and 2 bottles of wine per day.

    For those wanting a bit more history, Iqaluit (formerly known as Frobisher Bay) was apparently the very first European settlement (excluding Vikings) in North America---sometime around mid-1500's....but I'd like someone to fact check that for me. The bay is very beautiful with interesting rocks and sunsets. Additionally, this area boasts the 2nd highest tide in Canada (Bay of Fundy has the highest). There you go--fun facts for the day. :)
    Read more