Satellite
  • Day 116

    Too north for Northern Lights?

    January 4, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 10 °C

    When Jonathan was visiting, one his major goals was to see the Northern Lights. And, I must admit, I've been mighty remiss in seeking them out. There is something about double-digit minus temperatures and pitch blackness that really takes the motivation out of a person. Meh, some green stuff in the sky. Nah, I'm good. That has apparently been my mentality for the months I've been up here.

    And, to be fair, I did see them out at Allen Island field camp. So, I'm really good now. No need to freeze my face off. But, in the spirit of being a good hostess, I obliged to look up the Aurora forecast and that's when Jonathan and I learned that you can, apparently, live TOO far North to see the best Lights. Are you shitting me??!! I moved to the Arctic and I moved TOO far??!! How is that even possible? It's like the Earth is a freakin big ole jokester.

    We were cracking up. That's life though right? We were laughing that he will have spent a small fortune on a plane ticket, spent two weeks up here, in the Arctic, during the winter when the Northern Lights are most active, only to see nada.

    The forecast was not looking good. The best lights center along the Arctic Circle, which I am well above. We were pretty dismayed. However, out of the blue, I get a text one night from my boss that the Northern Lights were out and great. And, voila! We're donning inadequate clothing, racing out to find these elusive Northern Lights!

    We break out the door and I basically skid into the back of Jonathan because we need not go any further. The lights are literally dancing in the sky in front of my house. Had we not been complete lazy asses for the last week, we probably could have seen more by simply peeling back the curtain for a cursory look. lol.

    The lights this night truly were dancing. They were bright and squiggly (technical term). Of course, fully enjoying them was hampered by the aforementioned hasty, improper dressing. So, after mentally powering through the pain in my hands to take some pics(all with cell phone actually--impressed with the cell phone performance!), we called 'er good and fled back to the toasty warm house.

    Northern Experience points unlocked: 100pts.
    Read more