Satellite
  • Day 219

    Montreal Y'all!

    April 17, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 1 °C

    To finish out my southern travel fest, I met up with my husband in Montreal and explored the city. Actually, I'm lying. I explored the 2 square blocks around the hotel and spent the rest of the time trying to expend as little energy as possible.

    I asked my husband to pick the hotel and I only had two criteria. 1. There must be a bathrobe and 2. The bathroom had to have some sort of stone in it. Didn't care what kind of stone or quality of bathrobe because I knew that any hotel that had both was gonna be supa-sweet for my complete laziness-vegge-out needs.

    He delivered. The hotel was incredibly beautiful and in a spectacular location. I could not have done better myself.

    So, basically, for the next week, we stuffed our faces. It was all very European as everyone knows, but I also realized that comes with European sized food portions. It turns out that I eat like I'm trying to be a competitive sumo wrestler. I never left a morsel behind on any of my plates and we'd often have to stop by a convenience store to get snacks after dinner. For those of you that don't know my husband, he metabolizes food as he chews it and breathes out the calories before they have a chance to enter his bloodstream. Thus, he too, eats like a sumo wrestler in training.

    We also became privy to a speakeasy quite by accident. We were given recommendations for a few eateries and bars by the barkeep/manager of the bar across from our hotel. We took the advice and went out to eat at one of the places recommended to us. While we were there, a couple seated next to us voluntarily explained that they had been watching people struggle to find this bar across the street. They were alerted to it themselves simply by the strange behavior of passerby. Folks were walking up and down the alleys and streets right outside our restaurant, clearly confused. Then, a few knew the secret and walked directly up to an unmarked, black door and rang an inconspicuous doorbell. There, they waited until the door was opened by a dapper doorman. The couple telling us about this went on the internet and learned the name of the bar. It too was one of the recommendations that we were given by the barkeep. After the couple left, we shifted our seats and began watching. It was quite entertaining. People just have a look about them when they are searching for something or are lost. It's fun to watch.

    We decided to look this bar up and sure enough, there were no directions on the web and it wasn't listed on Google Maps. We knew we had to go check it out! A few days later we did and discovered a low-lit, chill but hip underground bar. The walls were stone. It was like we were in a cozy dungeon....you know, minus the torture and plus the expensive drinks. It was fun though because the you were encouraged to have the staff make a drink for you based on ingredients you like. I love a true artist that can make drinks. I've tried and learned very fast that it is, indeed, an art, when I choked down my awful creations. My skill level stops at a mimosa. Max 2 ingredient mixologist right here. For those of you living in big cities (and by big, I mean larger than 1500 people), you should try a Spanish gin and tonic if you like g & t's. It was like Julia Childs was making her piece de resistance.

    We saw many Inuit art galleries in Montreal. We went through one completely and all of the pieces have labels identifying who carved them and where they are from. I saw several from Igloolik! I could not believe what the pieces were selling for! I have a bear I bought for $180 and bears similar in size were selling for $480-$600! I know there is shipping involved but wow! I was shocked. So, if you would like some genuine, hand carved Inuit art, just let me know...I can get a real good deal!
    Read more