Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 86

    Beaches of paradise: Kuto and Kanuméra

    April 24, 2019 in New Caledonia ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Well there are some amazing beaches out there in the big wide world - and we are even having a chance to visit quite a few of them on this very World Tour! Probably, however, not many quite like Kuto and Kanuméra Bay on l’Île des Pins in New Caledonia. Curious that this beautiful island started off its existence on French colonial maps as a penal colony. What an awesome “punishment” to be sent out to live in paradise! It would have been a lot tougher when you had to figure out how to farm your own food and build your own shelter from next to nothing. However, given the moderate climate, still seems overall like not a bad deal when you think about coming from Middle Ages France with snobby nobles, ever-increasing taxes, the fighting of wars, the plague and such.

    Kuto Bay is right by the dock, where the Betico 2 ferry drops off, and next time we visit the Island, we shall certainly have to think really hard about staying at the gite right there on the beachfront (Kou-Bugny) for a couple of nights at least! The sand is of the finest white powder, the warm, calm waters range from pale sky to turquoise to marine blue, the avenue of grand palm trees provides ample shade and the local community is welcoming. We didn’t have long to stay and enjoy the beautiful environment that nature had created for the lucky people who call l’Île des Pins home, but we did collect some cool bits and pieces to build our own unique sandy souvenir of this wonderful day shared on paradise island.
    Read more