Satellite
  • Day 104

    You can get anything at Queen Vic Market

    May 12, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    Yah! We managed to make it to Queen Victoria Market before closing time - at 4pm! To be fair, it is Mothers' Day and the kids decided that they would clean the apartment this morning, which did cause some necessary, nice delay!

    So you can get pretty much anything at QVM: fresh fruit and veg, artisanal wines, kitchy Aussie souvenirs - especially digeridoos and boomerangs, Canadian hot dogs, American doughnuts, UGG footwear of dubious authenticity, soaps and scents, opals and jewels, even iris scans! Perhaps the one thing that we did not see in our one hour unguided tour was any butchery or sausages. (We later discovered a whole wing of the indoor market dedicated to fresh meat - Davy was most fascinated by the meat conveyance tracks and routing mechanisms integrated into the ceiling!)

    Particularly noteworthy were Purple Noser, the mutant aubergine who joined us for the ride home, a shop selling the most amazing collection of cut paper pop-out cards, and another one featuring a super creepy child mannequin perma-customer - the place always looked like there was at least one punter, but it was quite a shock when we realized it was a mannequin.
    Read more