Satellite
  • Day 8

    Dinos doing Salsa

    February 15, 2018 in Bolivia ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Hello from Sucre,

    Last night was our overnight bus. I think this is the first overnight bus I have taken since high school marching band trips many years ago. I am happy to report this one was much more comfortable. The seats were in a 2 and 1 configurations and I had one to myself. I also chose the front one so I had plenty of room to spread out. It was a double decker bus so I was located just above the driver with a 2 story view. As he turned some of the corners and passed people in the lanes of on coming traffic I was glad the windows were too fogged up to see much of the outside. On the 13 hour trip I finished reading a book and finished most of another on audible, so not much sleep. Yet I still felt full of energy today.
    Sucre is the National capital of Bolivia with the supreme court residing here while the presidential offices are located in La Paz. It is a beautiful city set in the middle of the Andies mountains. The buildings are painted white with gorgeous orange terra cotta roofs. Today we did the city tour with our guide. The national wage average in a month for Bolivia is $230 per month with housing costing about $100 per month. The area is very poor.
    As always my favorite part of cities is the markets. It is where the cities feel most alive. In Bolivia there are no super markets such as we have in the States. Instead residents go to the local fruit, vegetable, meat and cheese markets daily. Here they have an amazing sense of community. You can see kids coming in after school, friends meeting up after work, and families sharing time together.
    After the market we went to see the dinosaur foot prints. They are on a high sandstone wall that has been upturned by earth quakes. Apparently Bolvia is located on a fault line but has not had a major earth quake since 1985. Many of the earth quakes in SA recently have been in Chile.
    In the evening we went salsa dancing. Wow am I uncoordinated. I am happy to say there are no videos of my dancing, but I did include one for you of the instructor.

    Only 4 more days until the salt flats.
    Read more