Satellite
  • Day 17

    The Best Beef in the World

    February 24, 2018 in Argentina ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    Being a restaurant family and going to cooking school I have eaten some amazing beef, but none can even come close to today's Argentinian BBQ.
    Today was a full day activity of horse back riding, Argentinian beef, and unlimited red wine. The day dreams are made of.
    It surprised me that such a small contingent of our group came out. We had 3 for horse back riding and 7 for the BBQ. As we arrived the farm was a beautiful area located in the shadows of local mountains. There was a farm house and barns. There was a long table set for 25 in an open air dining room with an outdoor BBQ at the head of the table. I just realized I did not take any pictures of this part so it will just remain as a memory to me.
    Let me tell you about horse back riding. I believe I have gone horse back riding every 5-10 years for my entire life. Yes that totally means I am a pro, or it means I have a conversation with my horse first and discuss how we will get along. I asked for a nice horse who knew how to have someone ride it versus me knowing what to do. Instead they gave me Bruja, the Spanish word for witch. So witch horse and I went on our way. As the rancher led us through the paths my horse decided that she would be the leader (hmm, sound like anyone you know?). Yes my horse was the bossy witch. At points she stopped to get a bite to eat but would quickly race ahead as she saw the other horses coming close. At one point as we were turning the corner the horse next to me decided my leg looked like foot and took a little munch. No worries no damage was done.
    Joining us on the ride was the farm dog. She ran ahead of us as though she was scouting out the terrain. As we came to a street I call Mean Dog alley she looked to protect us. At points there were 10 or more dogs ganging up on our sweet dog. She quickly let the horses protect her and stuck to the middle of the pack. At one point we got off the horses for a stretch. After my failed attempts to mount the horse at the beginning I was a bit scared I would be chasing my horse back to the farm. Luckily the cowboy remembered this and directed me to a higher area to remount the horse. It could have been really ugly.
    As we returned to the farm the rest of the group arrived. Ohh the wine! It was brewed at a winery near by, along with beef the Argentine's know how to make wine. 7 guests and over 25 bottles of wine......
    Read more