Satellite
  • Day 6

    Leo's House

    June 18, 2018 in France ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Chateau du Clos Lucé.
    Our next, and last tour of the day, was Chateau du Close Lucè is just down the hill from the Chateau D'Amboise. You can see it off in the distance through the window of the bedroom of the owner.
    If you remember from earlier, Leonardo Da
    Vinci was buried there. Close Lucè is where Leonardo lived the last three years of his life. It was built in 1471 on the foundation of another 12th century building.
    King Francois I loved Leonardo's work and invited him to come live in Amboise and commissioned his work, inspiring the Renaissance movement.
    I knew that he was an artist and sculptor, but I had no idea he was an engineer, architect,
    and inventor. The whole bottom floor of this chateau was dedicated to his inventions. There were journals and papers with his notes and sketches.
    He was ahead of his time and designed the first tank, automobile, airplane, helicopter, swing bridge, and the parachute just to name a few.
    IBM had even produced some of the models using materials from that time.
    By the time we finished there, it was time for dinner, so it was back to Amboise, where we ate across the street from where we ate the night before. It was called the Anne de Bretagne.
    We had some obnoxious people around us. First, two locals who wouldn't move there chairs away from our table while they drank their wine. They didn't want to be in the sun I think. Then three American girls who cackled a lot. Adam photobombed one of their selfies. I would love to be a fly on the wall when they catch that. We would end up seeing them the next day at Chambord as well.
    It would be our last night in Amboise, so we celebrated with Gelato again.
    Read more