Satellite
  • Day 8

    Champs Elysees

    June 20, 2018 in France ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    By the time we finished at the Louvre it was late. We were tired, still hot because air conditioning just isn't a thing here, and hungry. No one wanted to look for a restaurant, so we settled for the food court that was in this cavernous place.
    The metro line that we took to get back to the hotel was one that we hadn't taken before. The trains, stations, and safety conditions were obviously better than the others we experienced. The line that we were on the most required the passengers to unlock the doors themselves by a little flip of a handle, and when they did, they flew open. However, the doors did close by themselves, and rather aggressively at that. They don't seem to be concerned about safety features across the board.
    This stop was the #1 line and we got off at the George V station instead of the more complicated Charles de Gaulle stop and it was about 10 steps closer to our hotel. Plus we came out on the Champs-Elysees as the sun was going down. As everyone else went on back to the hotel, I walked down the Champs-Elysees checking out all the shops and restaurants. It is one of the most famous streets in the world and the widest thoroughfare in Paris.
    When Paris surrendered in WWII, Hitler paraded his army right down the Champs-Elysees through the Arc de Triomphe. After the Allied forces drove Germany out, they did the same thing, which you know got under Hitler's skin.
    This is when I went to the edge of the traffic circle and took video of the insanity.
    Read more