Satellite
  • Day 15

    Finally!!

    October 30, 2018 in England ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    When I went to bed at midnight last night I didn't expect to be awoken by a police siren, and at six in the morning no less. No worries though, I felt plenty refreshed, and because I knew there was no hurry, I spent the first hour after my abrupt awakening finishing my book. Once I was ready to greet the day, and dressed in clothes that would actually keep me warm outside, I headed down for breakfast. One of the things I like so much about this particular hostel, more even than the above par beds, is how friendly everyone is. This place may be a little outside the center of London, but the people are well worth it. So breakfast, a couple conversations, and bracing myself for the cold had me ready to head out to what is the most well known of the attractions that I've seen in while in the epicenter of England, the London Eye. Even leaving an hour early didn't help me with the line, and as it turns out, I had needed to print my voucher. Well, that was harder than it seemed. There was no way I was going back to the hostel to do it, and the place the employees had sent me to seemed not to exist, so I popped in to a nearby hotel to see if they could help me out. Let me say, this womans customer service is beyond reproach. She said she didn't know where an internet cafe was, and that they were out of toner for their printer, but told me to go to their sister location (literally just around the block) and say I was staying at the inn and they would print it for free. She was right, and also the savior of my morning. After a surprisingly short wait in an impressively lone queue, I was finally in one of the cars that would take me to the top of this tourist attraction... with six small children, who clearly have never grasped the concept of "inside voices." Nevertheless, I was excited for what should be an amazing view. Now I am well aware that this isn't an amusement park ride, and its not going to whirl away, swinging the occupants to the top, but what can essentially be called a ferris wheel ascended so slowly that I wouldn't have even realized that we were moving if not for the skyline becoming more broad as the seconds passed. Finally, we reached the top, and what a view it was. You could see all around the city. I'm sure I over paid for the ride, but I'm glad for the opportunity. After that was done, I had hours to spare before the theater, and stopped in an area right down the river called Southbank Center and grabbed some food. From there I headed once more to Convent Garden for my old London tour, and even managed to get some shopping done. Mind you, the shopping I did was mostly for handwarmers and tea, but it's still shopping. But I was on my way, and wouldn't you know it...

    I missed my tour! I don't know how I did it. What is it they say about the best laid plans? Extremely bummed, mostly about the lost money, but not completely put out, I chose to head back to the hostel. However on my way to the tube station I saw a small building advertising theater tickets, and I did want to see a production on the West End while I was here. So after popping in, asking what comedy's were available tonight, and buying my ticket, I was all set to see a play called Bank Robbers. I have no clue what it's about, other than what the title gives away of course. I even got a coupon for a free coffee and pastry at a nearby cafe, so as long as I don't miss the showtime I'll be set. Maybe a fully planned trip isn't the way for me, or maybe I need to quadruple check everything I do plan, but it has been an interesting adventure, mishaps and all. I even got my play in, and I wasn't even sure that would happen, so perhaps it all is going to plan, just not mine.
    Read more