Satellite
  • Day 32

    A sad goodbye and a happy hello

    November 16, 2018 in Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    Thankfully for me, and my early bedtime, I was up far earlier than I'd even set my alarm. Because of this, I got to take my time getting ready, as well as catch the earliest bus to the airport and not have to stress about any time constraints. The only thing I have to worry about now is making sure I'm fed before getting on the plane, and if I was really smart I would have gotten something for this morning from Marks & Spencers when I got the treacle tart. Fortunately, at a small airport in Ireland, it takes no time at all to get through security and I had all the time to spare. I was able to get a nice breakfast, and then I still had almost two hours to kill. One of the weirdest things that did happen though was a customs check, in Ireland, before I even got on the plane. I had never experienced this, let alone heard of it, so I was quite surprised when we landed in New York and were all able to just walk off the plane. Having about an hour until my next flight, I thought I should first find my gate. Thank goodness it wasn't far, because my energy was waning, and although I'd been fed on the last flight, I knew the food was a priority. Unfortunately, every restaurant I found had either a queue or (when I asked) needed almost an hour to get through a meal; you'd think they'd be faster in the big apple. Cutting my losses, I headed to the nearest shop with snacks and practically bought them out. As my transaction finished up, the plane started boarding, and although I had my ticket I realized I hadn't been assigned a seat. Going up to the counter once more, I'd already been up about three times to ask questions, the clerk was happy to print me a new boarding pass. Somehow, perhaps because I was nice to him, I was in the first boarding group and in row eight... so luxurious. That seat is probably as close to first class as I'll ever get, without spending an arm and a leg. Although getting everyone on the plane seemed to go quickly, we ended up taxiing for roughly 45 minutes, which gave me plenty of time to jostle my seatmates getting adjusted, as well as to help one with the finicky touch screen TVs in the seats. (#Firstworldproblems) Finally, we were in the air and the last leg of my journey home was underway. Towards the end of the flight, I did actually converse with the person sitting to my left, found out that he's a producer for a new Netflix show called Dogs (shout out to Paul,) and he was actually headed to a premiere. Turns out I don't have to be in a foreign country to meet interesting people. Landing an hour later than scheduled, I was thrilled to finally be back in California, although a little wistful that I was no longer traveling. A few phones call to my mom later, and a hug as well, we were leaving LAX, and I was trashed. Pulling up in front of the house was like a wave a relief washed over me. I practically jumped from the moving vehicle to sprint into our home, nearly missing my freshly detailed car, and gave my dad a hug. I may not have necessarily been homesick, but I don't think I'll ever get too old to miss my parents. Of course, by the time I crawled into bed it was nearly seven in the morning... at least based on the time zones I was accustomed. Trying not to let jetlag gain a victory on me, I rolled over when I woke up and saw the clock read nearly three in the morning, but I did give up when I saw it was six. Luckily my day was pretty full from there on out. A slight lag in energy after a sugary meal, which I really should have thought through more thoroughly, but one day later and I was back on track. It's good to be home.

    P.S. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who took time out of your day to take this journey with me. I may not know who was reading along, and I do apologize for some of the lengthy breaks between posts, but hopefully, you enjoyed my trip as much as I have. I'm finally settled back into my ordinary life, with perhaps a bit more walking than was usual, but I can't wait for my next adventure. I'd also, mostly to save face, like to say that my grammar is normally much better, but half the time I was posting after an exhausting day and right before I went to sleep. I'm sure you'll forgive me.

    Until the next trip,
    Kelley ♡
    Read more