Satellite
  • Day 4

    Castel Sant' Angelo

    May 9, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    From the Vatican area we walked back home. We viewed Castel Sant'Angelo and did not go in here but it is an impressive sight. As usual, many Roman buildings were saved by Christians putting the structure to use for their own purposes and then things evolving as time went on.

    The Castel Sant'Angelo, also known as The Hadrian Mausoleum, was constructed 130AD-139AD on the edge of the River Tiber by Emperor Hadrian for himself, his family and his successors' internment. The mausoleum has a cylindrical colonnaded drum, 64 meters in diameter, on top of an 89 meter wide square base which was covered with lush planted gardens and trees.

    Over the years the function and appearance of the Castel Sant'Angelo changed. In the middle Ages additional towers and fortified walls were constructed. It became an impenetrable defensive bastion and was incorporated into the city walls (270-275AD). For the protection of the papal community a secret, fortified passage way, Passetto di Borgo, was constructed (14th century), connecting to the Vatican.

    Article:
    http://www.aviewoncities.com/rome/castelsantang…
    Read more