Satellite
  • Day 5

    Piazza Navona

    May 10, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    This is a very spacious piazza with people enjoying themselves at restaurants and shops all around. Nancy purchased a small Christmas bulb to remember our time in Roma. Although there are some people asking for money there were very few homeless individuals seen during our time in Rome. Whether this represents better social welfare I don't know; it just was. Yes, that is another Bernini fountain - called four rivers. He was unmatched in both talent and speed. He introduced movement into sculpture and brought in the Baroque style.

    Piazza Navona is an elongated oval-shaped public square in Rome, it was built on the former Stadium of Domitian. The original name was Circus Agonalis. The Piazza was paved in the 15th century and used as a market place and a venue for special events including mock naval battles. Today is a lively and popular social meeting point in the numerous cafes, restaurants and places of entertainment which line the square. The Church of Sant'Agnese in Agone (1670) is also on the square.

    The main attractions of the square are the three fountains, the most famous being Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi. The Fountain of the Four Rivers was completed in 1651 and although originally the artist Borromini was commissioned, ultimately Bernini took over the design. The fountain features an obelisk brought from the Massenzio Circus and surrounding the fountain base are figures representing four great rivers: The Nile, Ganges, Danube and Rio de la Plata.

    The Neptune Fountain (Fontana del Nettuno) or Calderari was designed by Giacomo della Porta and constructed in 1576. Further statues of Neptune and the sea nymphs were added in the 19th century.

    The Fontana del Moro was also created by della Porta. The central statue was designed by Bernini in the 17th century and features a Moor and a dolphin. The Tritons (male mermaids) were added in the 19th century.

    Article:
    http://www.aviewoncities.com/rome/piazzanavona.htm
    Read more