Satellite
  • Day 3

    Oshiage to Nippori & Ueno

    November 13, 2018 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    After looking lost & confused staring at train routes at Oshiage Station for about 20 minutes a very kind lady asked if we needed help! She ended up involving the very nice young ticket master, who in a jiffy produced the right tickets for us to Nippori...relief. Nippori Fabric Town! Extremely well sign posted if you know where to look!
    Yanaka Ginza, up the steep steps & down the steep steps across the other side of the railway tracks. Old style street with artisan shops. Yanaka is known for it's cats. So lots of cat themed goods & food. We did see several live ones! We had an interesting light lunch of scones cross between rock cakes & scones, very tasty & served with a light marmaladish looking jam, small slices of banana, kiwi fruit & watermelon plus lemon tea...delicious.
    The Asakura Museum of Sculpture. Beautiful old house with concrete studio attached. Very peaceful walking through the Tatami floored rooms & climbing to the rooftop garden. Of course cat sculptures featured.
    Wandered through the Yanaka Cemetery, a few autumn leaves, children's playground, phone box, main road etc. as well as a peaceful Temple, Tenno-ji with the Great Buddha of Yanaka. It was there we saw the most cats, all being feed.
    A pleasant walk found us in Ueno Park, a hive of activity even though most museums and temples had closed down for the day. The autumn leaves will look stunning when or if they arrive!😾 Not enough time to see everything...
    A quick trip on the train to Akihabara, nerd central, for tea & Simon time. Lots of bright lights, Maid Cafe girls touting for business.
    Day & night time views from our room of Tokyo Skytower.
    Read more