Satellite
  • Day 22

    Brisbane

    April 25, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Yesterday we stayed put at the great campsite in Tweed Head/Coolangatta to spend the day exploring up the Gold Coast and relax in the swimming pool. We enjoyed a couple of swims and being thrown about on the slide. We stopped at Elephant Rocks (Crummbian Beach) to watch the many surfers as it was a good vantage point out in the ocean.
    Today we made it up to Brisbane and went exploring the city in the afternoon. Today is Anzac Day (Remembrance Day) which also means it is a public holiday. It also means it is the only day in the year that they can play 'Two Up', a betting game played in bars. Bets are made between many groups of two people for two coins to land either both heads or both tails before they are flipped. This is all after many people have been to Remembrance parades starting before dawn. We really like the city. It is a very outdoor city complete with a free swimming pool, beach and water fountains to play in. There is also a free river ferry through the main part of the city from where you can see more outdoor pursuits. There are bolts in the river cliffs for climbing, bbq's, walk ways and people on jet skis and kayaks.
    Read more