Satellite
  • Day 59

    More Snorkelling: Cape Range NP

    June 1, 2017 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 22 °C

    We awoke yesterday morning to find out that kangaroos are quite inquisitive, as they had clearly examined the table we left out and looked at the front of the van (paw marks left behind)! They came back last night while we were still up and were quite happy eating while we stood next to them. The mother had a large joey half hanging out of her pouch and was eating the shrubs from there. We spent yesterday snorkelling at Oyster Stacks, Turquoise Bay and Kurrajong (where we camped) and saw many more fish, blue ringed rays, wedge shaped rays, green turtles and two octopus, one which was massive. It was a relief to go into the water as there was no wind, just sunshine at heat (30 degrees although it feels hotter with the sun reflecting off the white sand), not bad considering this is the start of the winter. We were up early again, to at least eat breakfast before 8am when it's much hotter, then spent the morning snorkelling. The Ningaloo Reef has certainly lived up to its reputation as a world class snorkelling destination where you can get to from the beach and pretty much have it to yourself.
    This afternoon we have started to make our way inland and are spending the night at a roadside rest area with other travellers. We drove over 200km and only saw about 12 other vehicles so it's no wonder that everyone you do pass waves to you. Looking forward to a shower after three days of salt water in the hair!
    Read more