Satellite
  • Day 66

    Fitzroy Crossing & Geikie Gorge

    June 8, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    James's Birthday started with bacon sandwiches under the amazing Boab tree where we camped last night. Continuing on the long drive to Darwin we stopped in at Fitzroy Crossing for fuel and provisions, the last petrol and habitation for 300km. We went on a 40km loop to the Geikie Gorge, a limestone river valley that contains some amazing wildlife including Bull sharks, river rays, the tooth nosed Sawfish and many other creatures we never saw! There were however plenty of fresh water crocodiles, the smaller and less aggressive relative of the saltwater crocs (up to 7m long!) that can be in these waters. There were rugged and fascinating limestone towers and pinnacles that get scoured to a white colour when the waters rise up to 10m above normal in the wet season.
    We finished the day at an amazing roadside camping area on a bluff above a gorge, with stunning views accross the plains at sunset assisted by a glass of wine. Met some really friendly 'grey nomads' from the South West of Australia escaping North from the temperatures which are dropping. Apparently it was 2 degrees C in Perth the previous night!
    Read more