Satellite
  • Day 5

    Cavanaugh and Orchard Rd

    April 1, 2017 in Singapore ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    I started today with an early morning quest to find street food.

    Setting off at about 5 30 am, I didn't really know what to expect. I was surprised to see so many people wandering the roadways so early on a Saturday.

    After walking for quite some time down Orchard rd, I came across a rather sketchy area where there were a lot of young folks hanging around. To my left, I saw an adult boutique and a few policemen patrolling the area. I soon realized this is probably not somewhere I should be. But alas, when I looked right - I found it! A street vendor serving early morning (or late night for some) Singaporean specialties. So before high tailing it out of there, I got a plate of "Singapore's famous hainanes chicken rice" for $5.

    This dish was interesting. A must try if you're a first timer in Singapore - I think once was enough for me. The chicken is seasoned and poached (or steamed - it's hard to tell) and chilled. Once cold, the meat is served over hot butter rice. The chicken was very tender, but I couldn't quite get over the fact it was cold. The rice was fantastic.
    Read more