Satellite
  • Day 7

    Valega and Porto

    May 20, 2018 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    The church of Valega was a place I had read that was highly recommended for its painted tiles and the beauty of it. So I had it in my plan to visit. The previous day I had got the train information finally. I got a metro to the train station, and I had plenty of time before the train, so I went and got some crackers for lunch ready for the worse case scenario. The train and everything else seems to come on time. Metros are down to the minute. So all good. Valega pronounced Vulgar was in the middle of nowhere. I had been chatting to a few Germans in the train and they were going to Aveiro. But they had flown to Porto for the weekend from Munich. The plus side of living in Europe personified.

    There was a taverna kind of place ( I don't think taverna is the correct word need to find that out yet). Asked the locals sitting doing nothing, other than watching the world go by. One guy could speak a smattering of English and he pointed to the one and only road, said walk in that direction. So with that piece of valuable information I took off. How long I had asked, he said 1 km, Google was saying more like 2.5 kms. What's the difference on a soul that was going to walk 300 plus kms.

    After about 15 minutes I could see the church from a far. And it looked as lovely as seen on the internet. A renewed spring in the step. The roads were deserted, it was the typical day as one might see in "moving to the Sun" tv programme on buying a house in rural, France, Portugal or Spain. Nothing on the road, now and then a car would go past, the roads were cobble stone more than tar on it, the birds were singing loud as, and the heat of the sun was just lovely not scorching. There were a few old character houses for sale. One for me, one for Nino and one for Barbara. We are sorted guys. Let’s move to Valega

    Coming closer to the church there were people outside. Ok so it was Pentecost Sunday. But surly why all of this crowed. No one spoke English. So after admiring the church from the outside for awhile I thought I will peep into the church to see what was happening. It was jam packed inside. And the reason for the crowed was that it was first communion celebrations for the little boys and girls. Brought back memories of SL. It is very much a celebration day in SL too. Party afterwards, all relations and family get together ,everyone dressed grandly, the little ones in white lovely long dresses, and the boys in white and black trousers and bows etc. What a blessing to see this. The loft had been opened to accommodate the crowds, so got this bright idea as soon as mass was over to sneak up there and see the inside of the church from a vantage point. This area too was also all in painted tiles. That was great, to see it from that view point Priceless!!!. Must be my lucky day.

    After a photo shoot, and prayers I had to head back quick smart to catch the train back. It was once each hour. Getting closer to the station I thought I had got it wrong , false alarm I was a few minutes ahead of time. There had been one stall selling refreshments at the church, I had bought this kind of something between a cake and a biscuit. After eating some of that while waiting for the train, all washed down with some water. I was sorted.org.

    Next stop was the port wine cellars. My favourite drink Sweet Port or Sherry Wine. Don't hold that back I sleep after 2 drinks. That's my limit. 😴. The famous Porto cellars ( so many to choose from) "home of Port wine" was on the way back. So I hop off from the train, asked a gent who again was very helpful, and he said to come with him as he was going to the metro too, he didn't mind missing the metro that came by in order to help me. Thought I will go to the Sandeman cellars as I have drunk their Port wine. The Next English tour was at 6,00pm. And the time was around 3.00. Bugger that. You could have just wine tasting. That was good enough for this alcoholic who had never ever been drunk at the age of 58. BUT that was soon to be remedied.

    So I thought I would first try the ruby you get 3 glasses of this for tasting, and a human being explains about the 3. Well liked 2 not much about the very old one which was 10 years old. So in for penny in for a pound I would not get another opportunity like this on this trip, so went back and asked for another tasting of the other 2 different ports. White, and Tawny. Hmmm my head was feeling light, and no way could I have walked a straight line. Yeppiiii I think I was as high as I would ever get.

    Most of the first 3 was yet remaining. They give you a glass of water to cleanse you palette. Emptied my wee bottle of water into the glass, and a another glass. Poured the rest o f the two I liked from my first tasting to the bottle and I was out of there before I went to sleep.

    In my best interest I needed to eat some food. It was on the river side, and not sure if it was like this everyday but there are stalls and cafes galore. Stopped at one of the cafes sat out side and ate steamed spiced squid. The life of the rich and famous drunk, sunning one self, and watching the world go by. Could get used to this. (There is one photo where I am just about sleepy sun bathing at the café). Wish I could be a "kept woman".

    Even after all of this time I was yet not fully in charge of my faculties, but I found a quick cure for drunk or slightly drunk, and that was climb a steep hill. I could have crossed the river on a bridge at that level, but I needed to get back up to get to the cathedral where I was going to get my Camino passport stamped for the first time. Well by the time I got to the top of the road again I was as sane as my normal self would ever be.

    Walked the bridge and crossed the river, found the cathedral, got the stamp, and now had to start my walk. As my hotel was about 8 kms out of Porto in order for me to be true to my self I needed to walk that part so I could say I started my walk in Porto. That was a lovely walk. Part way I took a old tram to experience that too.

    Back at the hotel, getting laundry done was on the agenda. By now it was close to 7.00pm. Had a quick chat with Colin and went to the laundromat. Everything was in PORTUGESE. So went off looking for someone to help. Found these 3 boys and a young girl who came back to the self service, but even they could not work it out. Then a lady came to the self service and helped me out not just to work it out but gave me .10 as I was short of this. While that was happening went for some dinner. The Manager there was so helpful, I had asked about the fish having bones. Once the meal came to my table he cut the fish up for me and took off the bones. ( I was loved by this stranger who cared for my well being ) and gave me complimentary fried squid to try as well. I think I need to move to Portugal!!!!!.

    A long full on day. I sure know how to rest on my holiday!!!!!.
    Read more