Satellite
  • Day 16

    Oia to Baiona

    May 29, 2018 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    After having a fresh orange juice which was the only thing worth having for breakfast I was on my way. It was going to be a long day on my own. After yesterday which had been a long day our plan was to start early , and try and get to our destination early on in the day, and also try not to walk in the heat of the afternoon sun. With this in mind we requested breakfast for 7.30am. Well when I woke up it was 7.50am and Shyama was yet fast a sleep. I was out of bed and dressed and in the restaurant so fast my feet must have had wings. I was the only one who was having breakfast. Took a breakfast tray for Shyama. When I left the accommodation it was 10.00am so much for leaving early.

    It had rained earlier on, so it was good we had slept in, one might say a blessing. Shyama was having a rest day, and we were going to meet at our hotel in Baiona later on that afternoon. It was lovely to be alive, I had a spring in my step, the rain had made everything look fresh, and the coast line I was walking on was dotted with villages. Unlike the previous day I was on path ways most of the time, and now and then came on to the main highway PO 552. It was much easier to walk on the dirt track , than on the road. Ones feet had started to feel the pounding on the road, as opposed to the cushioning on the dirt. A young lady passed me, and an hour or so later I passed her. Only because she has stopped for a bite. She was young, she was taller so she was faster. Also she did not stop for photos like this human.

    Toilet stops, Bon Camino to all those you pass, or who pass you, looking out for snakes in your path, you were in to the swing of things.

    I stopped to watch a stone carver at work. he had drawn out what he was going to chisel out on the rock, and he offered to give me a stamp for my passport. By now you like to have stamps that are out of the ordinary. The square boaring ones, were ones that you no longer wanted on your passport. Then the young lady who had been playing tag with me caught up, and slowed down to talk. She had 3.5kms more to go, so we talked as we walked and hey presto the time and distance just goes by. After wishing each other Bon Camino I carried on, I had a further 10 or so kms to go.

    I stopped on the rocks off the beach to have my lunch which was fresh orange juice watered down and an orange., when a crowd of pilgrims I had passed earlier on at a cafe came by. One of the guys was on his own, and he was walking ahead of the others. So when he waved, I waved and offered him a piece if my orange. He happily had that, and he carried on. I stayed for a while as I wanted to air my feet, and also enjoy the scenery.

    Then a little while later after I had been walking again I had to make a choice. Either just follow the main road, or go on the Camino route, which was up a mountain. So I thought I will be brave and go up the Camino route. At this point I could not see any of the others who had passed me a short time ago. Once on the mountain path, I was worried, mostly about the creepy crawly ones. I had my trusted walking stick, since seeing the snakes the previous day, I had this in my hand all the time. It was hard work climbing, some times the way was not marked properly, and you hoped you were on the correct path, and other times you wished you would see a pilgrim and then you hoped it was not going to be an ax murderer, that was going to come out of the woods, or round the corner and say hi to you. Once I was quite high I could see the others who had passed me had gone on the main road. I was on my own. Honestly Colin you cannot call me a chicken anymore or a scary cat, I was so darn brave walking up there over the saddle and down the other side. I met no one, no human, no snake. Thank you audio story books for keeping my mind occupied. This is the first day I had listened to one on my holiday. I had downloaded so many, but had not wanted to listen till today. Normally listening to audio stories, or praying or meditating is what I do when I walk.

    I was so happy to come back to civilisation. And then finding our accommodation was not hard, as it was a 16th century castle. I was able to see the fort from far away. Getting to the front entrance though was like walking through a maze. So with the help of a lady and then a gent I got to the hotel. It was very grand. You felt you had entered a 5 star hotel which had the old world grandeur. Shyama was as happy to see me, as I was of her. Walking buddies reunited.

    I think it would be fair to say at this point, that Sonali walks over hills and valleys on the farm, where as Shyama only gets to walk on flat areas in Colombo. So Ladies and Gents Hats Off and Take a Bow to Mrs Shyama Perera for her effort over the previous two days, right after a long distance international flight. Congratulation Shyama!!!!! I could not have asked for a better companion on my first Camino walk.

    The hotel which had been built in the sight of the castle incorporated some part of the old castle. It was lovely. So was the jacusy and sauna we both went too. My weary body just melted in the water. In Spain sista is from around 1.00 to 4.00 pm or so. They start work at 10.30 and then finish for the day around 9.00pm.

    Since coming in to Spain, my phone had given up the ghost. So all today I had no Google maps nor phone. Golden rule of having some form of communication had been broken, but I live to tell the tail. So first order of things was to go to a Vodaphone shop. Much to my dismay though Mr Handsome had told me in Portugal that it would work in Spain, apparently that was not the case. So got a new sim card as I needed that to have Google maps handy at all times.

    After that we did some retail therapy, and then some dinner. We had two starters and one of it was fried green chillies. These were not spicy at all, but they were really nice. It was a first for both of us. I was glad to hit the bed. Walking in the sun, and over the mountain was hard, but I had concurred some fears of being a scary cat cum chicken licken. I was very satisfied with my achievement, even though I was tired. 22 kms was what I had walked today on the Camino.

    The hills in the far distance of the main photo, was what I climbed over to get to Baiona.
    Read more