Satellite
  • Day 21

    Arcade to Pontevedra

    June 3, 2018 in Spain ⋅ 🌧 13 °C

    Today our distance to travel was approximately 12kms. For us seasoned walker's it was going to be a walk in the park. Up and out of the hotel by 9.00am. Even though it would be lovely to travel earlier to that, most places do not serve breakfast till 8.30am. The Spanish live a life of less stress. So the good thing is they make you slow down too. You do not hear drivers tooting when someone has stopped to drop of a person or to have a chat. The ones behind wait till the conversation has finished. They will always stop at the zebra crossing if no traffic signals. But if there is traffic signals then you as s pedestrian too need to follow the rules.

    Arcade the town is famous for its Oyesters, and you can go on a little d tour at some point and eat these, but we were not going to be doing this today.

    Walking on the bridge, across a small river named Verdugo was very picturesque. The mist was yet hanging over the mountains. The water was more like a lake than a river. It was lovely. Real Patience Strong verse material. It even had a sandy beach.

    Then it was climbing up cobble streets, and goat tracks and mountain paths. Through lovely small forests it was hard but very nice to walk "The Way."

    I have two stories to tell today - one is about David and Gloliath. We came across a snake and he was coming towards us. We stopped and told him to go the other way. He did not listen. So he left us no other choice. I used my trusted walking stick and hit him as hard as I could. He did not know, what struck him. Once I started I did not stop first; it was stopping him on the tracks and then it was stopping him full stop, and then Shyama joined in as well. So he was now either in snake heaven or hell. Who cares. Colin I think you should take me hunting. I will show you how it's done.🙄🤗🤓.

    The next story is we met a Canadian lady aged 69 doing her 7th Camino. This one she started on the 31.03.2018. To date she has walked 1400 kms on this journey. And now has 60 more to go. This has been the longest Camino she has done. And to top it off she was carrying her own back pack. Her Husband was in BC canada looking after the cats and mowing the gardens.When I asked why she does just Caminos, why nor some other country to go for a hike or tramp. She loves Spain, and it keeps calling her. As charming as it was to meet her, it was a wake up call to my pride on the misley 200kms I have walked so far.

    Pilgrims every where at the moment. Mainly because all the Spanish and Portuguese routes have joined up. So from now on it is going to be like this. We were having a bit of lunch in a cafe after we checked in and rested. They were coming in drones. From now on there is going to be swarm of bees going to Santiago. We even met the New Zealanders we had met over a week ago. So that was lovely. Hugs and kisses and we walked together for a very short time, after which we parted company as they were going on a d'tour.

    We walked today's paths in record time. We were in our hotel by 12.30pm. That is with hill climbs, weewee stops etc.

    Now it's resting time as to tomorrow is going to test our metal. 21 kms or so uphill most of the way, need to start early. One of the reasons for doing it so fast today was the weather was so great. It was not sunny neither was it raining. It was just right for walking.

    Once again both of us have had a siesta time, and now we will go and get some dinner. Some of the photos is of our dinner and Sangria from last night. As you can see both of us are Far From Starving. In case your wondering I do love my Sangria. Oh well I like Port too, and Sherry too. But please bear in mind never been drunk.

    One photo is of a fig tree with so many figs on it, they were not yet ready for harvesting what a pity. One of the photos with the walking pilgrims, the Canadian lady Charlott is the one with the blue back pack cover walking at the back.
    Read more