Satellite
  • Day 26

    Milladoiro to Santiago de Compostella

    June 8, 2018 in Spain ⋅ 🌧 12 °C

    Yes we have done it. We arrived into Santiago de Compostella around 10.40 this morning. I cannot believe It. All the plannng, close to a year. With God's Grace and Blessings I have accomomplished something that I feel very proud off. Hope Shyama feels the same.

    What I had read before hand was, if you got to the sanctuary by 10.00am and got your passport in, then there was a good chance that you would be able to get your Compostella in 2 hours. Which would also mean at the pilgrims mass at noon your country would be read out as arrival of a pilgrim from that country. Armed with this bit of information we planned to leave our fancy accomodation by 8.00am. Breakfast taken, and we were out by 8.00, Good for us.

    It read 7 point some kind of kms shortly on the start of our journey once we got back on the Camino route. After walking approximately 3kms we see another rmilempost with 7.kms. that is not the first time that has happened on the walk. But by now who cares about a few more kms. Uphill, down hill, outskirts of Santiago, pass small schools, and large schools we were marching forward. Getting our last stamps on our passport too. Cannot forget the stamps, just like cannot forget the cheese and ham that has been served each and every day for breakfast. If I do not see another piece of ham for the rest of this year call me satisfied.

    We were happy, both of us sang hymns, said the rosary, sang more hymns, realised how we did not no the words of a single hymn from start to finish, spoke about this walk, what it had meant to each of us, how it would change us from now on even in a minuscule way.

    Once we got to the cathedral, we did not even have time to take a photo, as we needed to get our passports in as mentioned above, and also drop of our back packs as we are not allowed to take backpack in either into the cathedral. So got to the hotel first, dumped the packs. ( my shoulders are missing the pack, it has got withdrawal symptoms). ( I think Colin you cannot call your self Sherpa Tenzing from now on, those bragging rights go to me now).

    When we got to the place that gives the Compostella the que was a mile long, so scratch that idea, we decided first to go to the noon mass. While at the mass I did my confession, as there were so many priests round the corridors. So did that with a English speaking priest. After mass approached him and asked if I could do the reading for the English mass on Saturday. That sorted, went off to get the passport and Compostella sorted. There was yet long que , but much shorter than before.

    I am now the proud owner of a Compostella and also a certificate to say that I have walked 280 kms. Impressive!!!!!!!. (That too will be going up on the wall at home)

    After that a much needed lunch by then the time was 2.00pm. Then the skies opened, there was thunder bolts going on over head, and the place was pelted with train, we had just got in on time I reckon all in all. I remember Thathie saying "St Peter and St Paul are playing marbels in heaven" 😏. Thathie was proud of his daughter, but for this achievement he would say " parka thing know Sonali and Shyama did"

    While getting our Compostella when Shyama went up to get her one, the guy at the counter asked her what country, and she said Sri Lanka. So he says you should go to the guy next to me, as he is from SL you should get him to do your Compostella. So she starts talking to this person, and he is a seminarians who has come from SL for a short while of training to Spain. What are the chances that he would be the one doing Shyamas certificate. He then went on to give her some very good news. The Botofumerio would be on display at the evening mass.

    As this was Shyamas last full day we went out around the place to do some shopping, and then went for the 7.30 pm mass as well. There we got front row seats, and had the opportunity to see the famous botofumerio in action. Wow that was something. (I cannot post the entire video, so please look it up on youtube. It so worth seeing. Believe me. I can only post 10 second videos and that would not do it justice. Just type in Botofumerio in Santiago de Compostella)

    It was announced before communion only those, that have received the sacrament should come up for communion. We were seated on the very first row. Well there was this stupid young teenager who tried to walk off with the communion. And the priest who was the celebrating priest called her up, and she mocked him and put it in her mouth. I felt like smacking her one, honestly she should have been kicked out litteraly from the sanctuary not just the cathedral. There was I would think approximately over 2000 at that mass. And the noon day mass must have had double that amount of people.

    After that mass we had a pilgrims get together, and a thanks giving prayer time in a side chapel, the priest asked me to do a reading for that service too☺. We were asked to share our stories of the Camino if we wanted too, which we did, and then we were taken to the crypt of st James and a final prayer was said there before we all dispersed. Perfect end to a perfect walk.

    Then had some dinner, walked a bit, took some photos of the square and the cathedral, there were some street musical group playing Spanish music and songs, listened to it for a short while and then to bed.

    Note the last photo is from 7kms away the Santiago cathedral in the mist. Hmmmmmm.....

    Thank you dear heavenly father, with thy grace I have archived what I set out to do. Walking the walk, touching me, talking to me as I walked this path. May my Camino carry on, as I now journey through my life that you have destined for me.
    Read more