Satellite
  • Day 28

    Last day at Santiago de Compostella

    June 10, 2018 in Spain ⋅ 🌙 13 °C

    Final day at Santiago de Compostella. In a way I have been living the last few weeks in a cacoon. All that was needed was to get up, get sorted and then be on the way, putting one step in front of the other. Keep your eyes open not just to see where you stepping but also to see the country your travelling at grass root level literally. Keeping your ears open to hear the voice of Our Father in heaven. Mindless but mindful, tired but happy, challenging but achievable. So now knowing tomorrow I am leaving here makes you realise how fortunate I have been, Blessed and privileged to walk " The Way of St James".

    Today being Sunday I thought I would go for mass, even though I went last evening for mass. But the que at the cathedral was just too long, so went for a wander. Found a local church where I was the only pilgrim. It must have been a family mass. It was so nice. The priest involved the kids in the sermon, then when the "Our Father " was recited every one moved to the out side of the pews and held hand along the length of the church, while the kids went to the alter and held hands with the priest and the alter servers round the alter. It was lovely. Last year they did this in Poland where the entire country held hands in the parameter of the country and recited the rosary at a given time. Imagine that. When the peace be with you and hand shakes was done during mass, kids were flying around the church kissing parents, onto the alter kissing the priest and the siblings who were alter servers it was mayhem of the nicest sort.
    Some photos of the place of accommodation Hospederia San Martin Pinario which is a converted monastery. The walls are so thick, and the place is so simple it brings you back to what this pilgrimage was all about.

    Met Otterly ( Shanalee's friend)who had done the French way. Feelings were mutual to see a familiar face. Had so much to compare and contrast, swap thoughts and also how it seems doing the walk again was in both our minds.

    I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you who read my posts, commented and supported me on my journey. I wrote this journal to keep family and friends informed and to see a snap shot of the walk and the journey. But It would also serve as a record to me at a later date. I would also like to thank Shanlee for her support and encouragement. But the main honours go to Colin, who has supportive, discussed and been a pillar in doing this walk. THANK YOU VERY MUCH COLIN for your love and support.

    This will be my last post, as Colin is going to be joining me in Lisbon in a couple of days and we will be touring round together. Good bye to all for now.
    Read more