Satellite
  • Day 38

    Day 38/72: Raglan

    December 4, 2018 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌧 18 °C

    Our day started with thunder and lightening over the campsite! Tom decided to go for a beach run in the rain, and when he got back we both went for a swim in the sea, approximately 10m from our campervan. The water was cold, and the rain didn't do much to warm us, but the black sand beach and the hills surrounding the water was spectacular.

    We had breakfast in our campervan, and headed to the village of Raglan to wander around the shops and contemplate how we could get either surfboards or skateboards back on the plane to the UK.

    We got pulled pork sandwiches for lunch and then headed to one of the world famous surfing beaches and sat in our camper van and watched the surfers while eating. The waves were consistently big and incredible to watch.

    After a walk down onto the beach to play some tictactoe on the sand, we sat in our campervan and played a few games of cards while we waited for our surfing lesson. The lesson was great! The waves were big, and we are both improving a lot, and eager to get back in the water. It hurts a lot less to fall off a surf board than a wakeboard (at least on small waves anyway)! The instructor was absolutely great, but bizarre: very much a surfer dude.

    We drove to a pub and had a ridiculous amount of food for dinner, our eyes were somewhat bigger than our stomachs, and we got an early night.
    Read more