Satellite
  • Day 55

    Day 55/72: horses and lotr

    December 21, 2018 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌧 13 °C

    Today we woke up early and drove to Glenorchy to go horse trekking through the most beautiful valley filled with lupins and crystal clear rivers. The hack was awesome, the mountains were amazing and we did a few very deep river crossings.
    3 hours of riding later we were both feeling sore and/or out of practice. The area (and the horses we were riding) were used a lot for various films, including lots of Lord of the Rings scenes, Wolverine scenes, and Prince Caspian. And it's easy to see why! The scenery was breathtaking.

    The lupins absolutely fill the valleys here, they were brought over from England as a decorative garden plant but have become a weed, meaning that the valleys are super beautiful.

    We drove back to Queenstown (the drive along the lake is incredible) and had a good lunch before heading into town. We wondered around for a bit, exploring surf and skate (board not fish) shops, and finishing off some Christmas shopping.

    Queenstown is the adrenaline capital of the world, and it shows in all the signs for bungy jumping and Skydiving or another weird adrenaline fuelled activity every 2 meters you walk.
    Read more