Satellite
  • Day 57

    Day 57/72: Queenstown to Glenorchy

    December 23, 2018 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 13 °C

    We started the day in Queenstown, wondering through the town and to the park to play another game of Frisbee Golf. (Tom won by quite a long way unfortunately). It was hotter today, and the sun was shining. A beautiful day for being in the park by the lake!

    After a light lunch, we went for a walk, wondering up through the streets of Queenstown (up very very steep roads in places), and up Queenstown hill. The walk was beautiful, straight up through a forest of pine trees on lovely footpaths, and then opening up on the top to reveal an incredible view across the whole lake of Whakitipu and the city of Queenstown. After sitting at the top and watching paragliders taking off from a neighbouring hill for a while, we walked back down through the forest again.

    We arrived back at the van and went and did our Christmas food shopping on the way to Glenorchy, where we would be spending Christmas. The drive to Glenorchy was very beautiful (one of the top 10 drives in the world) along the side of the huge lake.

    We arrived in Glenorchy and checked into the most incredible campsite, all the buildings had been made out of recycled material, complete with a solar farm which created as much energy in a year as the campsite used. The toilets are composting toilets, with no flush and an air flow system to stop smells (worked very well), and the no flushing means that they save 600,000L of water a year. The campsite itself had incredible views of the mountains surrounding Glenorchy.

    We arrived and opened our wonderful Christmas hamper waiting for us at the campsite (thank you mum and dad) and had a lovely dinner.
    Read more